What are day-0, day-1, and day-2 operations?

Good morning!

Recently I’ve gained some interest in 5G, NFV, etc. But, as I am new in this area, I still have some rather basic questions.

What are day-0, day-1, and day-2 operations? And how can use them to improve my VNFs/CNFs?

Thanks,
German

It is very common to come across the terms Day 0, Day 1, Day 2 however while working with IT cloud automation, Network Function Virtualization (NFV) and cloud software deployment these terms are widely used but not well defined and many times can create confusion.

Here is a view of the terms with telco cloud eyes and here is a view with IT cloud eyes.

However since 5GASP is deploying VNFs/CNFs, we tend to lean and understand the terms considering the lifecycle management (LCM) of 5G network applications and therefore would conform more towards:

Day 0 Installation and configuration

Day 0 is the onboarding the VNF/CNF for management & orchestration with a configuration required for the initial instantiation of the 5G network application.

Day 1 Discovery, Registration and Activation

Day 1 is the service initialization a phase that will enable the exposure of the services offered inside the VNF/CNF to be automatically initialized and ready to be discovered in the 5G network.

Day 2 Continuous Operations

Successful Day 2 operations is the optimization of the network function (compute, connect), with continuous monitoring of it’s health & healing of failures, with the seamless possibility to perform update patches, and the ability to scale the NF resources at runtime without environment downtime.

5GASP Test locations

With all 5GASP test locations conforming to this terminology it means 5GASP partner sites can help improve your 5G network application with its installation, configuration, activation and continuous operations in a way that is applicable to multiple 5GASP test locations, thus giving your 5G network applications better coverage when going for certification testing with a 5G operator.

Additional Links

Here are some additional links: