What changes do I need to do to my code to port it for 5GASP?

Hi,

I am a developer and have developed code for an application that is not currently using the 5G technology. From what I have read, 5GASP platform gives the capability to experiment using 5G testing environments.

My question is what are the changes that I should implement so that I can onboard my code on the 5GASP platform.

Thank you in advance.

Hello JohnS,

The answer to your question is dependent on what you want to leverage from the 5G System.
If you only want to capitalize on the higher bandwidths, lower latencies, etc provided by 5G, you won’t need major updates on your application. The only thing that will be required of you is to package your application in a VNF/CNF. Once you have built the VNF/CNF, you should be able to deploy it through OSM. If you managed to do this, then your VNF/CNF can be deployed and tested in the 5GASP ecosystem.

We have created some tutorials on how to create a VNF:

On the other hand, if you wish your application to interact with the 5G System, you will need to develop some clients for the provided 5G Services and APIs. Among these, you can find NEFSim. NEFSim is an open-source simulator that allows for developers to experiment with 5G’s Network Exposure Function (NEF).
It bridges the gap between mobile operators and service providers, offering a platform for testing 5G network capabilities.
You may find more information on this at: https://community.5gasp.eu/index.php/2024/01/04/the-role-of-the-network-exposure-function-nef-in-the-5gasp-project/
NEFSim is also available at: GitHub - 5gasp/NEF-Emulator

I would start by developing a client to interact with the NEF, which may be tested with NEFSim. This means that you can better prepare your application for being onboarded in a Commercial 5G System.

I hope this is helpful.
If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to post them in this thread :slight_smile: